Chocolate donuts with coconut vanilla bean icing
Author: Gina Matsoukas
Recipe type: dessert
Serves: 8 donuts
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 3 eggs (separated)
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut butter, melted to a pourable state
- 1/4 of a vanilla bean, scraped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- unsweetened coconut flakes for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine almond flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- Separate eggs and combine yolks with remaining wet ingredients.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and stir until combined.
- Beat egg whites with a hand held mixer until light and fluffy.
- Fold egg whites into batter until just combined.
- Pour batter into donut pan.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes. Remove from pan and transfer to cooling rack.
- Combine melted coconut butter with water and honey and stir until fully incorporated.
- Add vanilla bean and stir again.
- Spoon icing onto fully cooled donuts and top with shredded coconut flakes if desired.
- Transfer to refrigerator for 10 minutes to set.
Recipe by Running to the Kitchen at http://www.runningtothekitchen.com/2012/12/chocolate-donuts-with-coconut-vanilla-bean-icing/