No bake chocolate coco pumpkin bars
Author: Gina Matsoukas
- 10 medjool dates, pitted and soaked for 15-30 minutes in water
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 1/2 tablespoon dark, unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, divided
- 1/4 cup coconut butter, softened until spreadable
- 1 banana
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons honey
- unsweetened coconut flakes for garnish (optional)
- Combine dates, almonds, cocoa powder and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in a food processor. Process until a ball starts to form and "dough" becomes sticky.
- Transfer to a 9x5 baking pan (a bread loaf pan) and spread/flatten out across the bottom of the entire pan.
- Spread the softened coconut butter as evenly as possible on top of the date/nut mixture.
- Add the banana, pumpkin, honey and remaining cinnamon to the food processor and process until smooth and fully combined.
- Pour mixture on top of the coconut butter, spreading evenly across the entire surface.
- Sprinkle coconut flakes on top and freeze until set. About 30 minutes.
- Cut into 8 squares once frozen.
- Keep bars stored in the freezer. They can be eaten directly from the freezer or thawed for a couple of minutes for a softer pumpkin top layer.
Recipe by Running to the Kitchen at http://www.runningtothekitchen.com/2012/11/no-bake-chocolate-coco-pumpkin-bars/