Doughy coconut flour pancakes with a coconut almond butter sauce are one of the best ways to use coconut flour in baking!
Remember the pancake Sunday series from last fall? Let’s consider this another addition to the series, just a day late.
Had I known how deliciously amazing these were going to turn out I would’ve made them on Saturday so some of you could actually enjoy them yesterday, but I honestly had low expectations. Coconut flour scares me. I’ve made cookies with them before but that was someone else’s recipe. I figured the first time I experimented with the flour on my own was sure to be a total flop.
Somehow the pancake gods were in my favor though because these were delicious! They might actually be my favorite in the entire pancake Sunday series.
I used Katie and Cait’s recipes as inspiration and I’m definitely glad those girls attempted this first because if it wasn’t for their description of how thick the batter was going to be, I probably would’ve chucked it before the first batch even came off the pan.
These will look like hockey pucks when cooking. Pay no attention, they turn out delicious.
They’re doughy, almost like an under baked cake inside and have just enough coconut flour in them to enjoy the flavor without the weird dryness or chalkiness that can sometimes happen when baking with it.
I topped the cakes with an almond butter/coconut butter sauce that I literally licked clean out of the bowl.
Saturday I stayed in pajamas all day watching TV and eating popcorn shrimp. Sunday I was shoving my face in bowls. It’s obviously high class around here on the weekends. Although, I did finally get dressed on Sunday around 2pm and make my way out of the house for the first time in about 48 hours. We went to Best Buy, Five Guys for lunch/dinner and the grocery store. Woohoo.
I know it’s Monday. I know it’s probably 6 more days until most of you will make pancakes for breakfast again unless you’re some morning superstar, but these are worth the wait. I promise.
You + coconut flour…make it a date on Sunday.
- 1 cup spelt flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¾ tablespoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1¼ cup almond milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 5-6 tablespoons water
- 1-2 tablespoons butter, for greasing the pan
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1 tablespoon coconut butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk together until just incorporated. Dough will be pretty thick.
- Heat a pancake griddle or pan over medium high heat. Add a small pat of butter to pan and pour batter in about ¼ cup measurements onto pan. You might have to shape or flatten the dough into pancake shape.
- Cook for about 2 minutes per side.
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Microwave for 30-40 seconds.
- Stir/mix until creamy.