You ever have one of those weeks coming up where come 3pm on Sunday this nagging sense of dread just starts to build up knowing Monday is inching that much closer?
That would be this week for me.
And it’s stupid too because the reason for it all is a long weekend vacation (for my 30th birthday on Saturday which, now that I think about it might actually be adding to the whole dread thing) that I know will be fun. But all the preparation leading up to Friday morning just makes me completely want to stab my eyeballs out over the next 96 hours.
There’s to-do lists in my head, to-do lists written down on paper, to-do lists on my phone and probably about 20 things that haven’t even made it onto one of those lists yet. And none of it is stuff that I can easily ask Ulysses to help out with because he’ll just look at me like I have 5 heads when I explain that yes, cleaning the house is a necessity before we leave because otherwise I’ll be dreading a dirty house the entire 7 hour car trip home next Monday and that won’t be fun for either of us.
This is a glimpse into my psyche…it can get a little crazy up in here.
So, instead of having to waste precious brain power on what to eat for breakfast for the next few days, I took care of that with these baked steel cut oats. It’s got the flavors of this breakfast bake, but with the awesome chewy texture of steel cut oats. The cherries definitely funk up the color but don’t be scared, they do wonders for the taste. This is one of those things where if you invest a little bit of time on Sunday preparing (most of which is inactive), it’ll more than pay off for the rest of the week.
Then you can spend what time you would’ve been thinking about breakfast (which, if you’re like me is an embarrassingly long amount) figuring out what day and time you can fit in a manicure with the least chance of it being ruined before the trip even starts (highly unlikely).
A great make ahead dish filled with cherries and almonds that will provide breakfast for a week.
5 minsPrep Time
60 minsCook Time
- 3/4 cup steel cut oats
- 3 cups milk (any combination will do, I used 1/2 coconut from carton & 1/2 almond milk)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup frozen cherries, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x12 or similar sized baking pan.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix together.
- Pour into baking pan and bake for about 50-60 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool to room temperature.
- Either eat warm immediately (oats will be a bit more liquidy) or, refrigerate overnight to set and serve in the morning either cold or warmed up with a bit of milk.