If yesterday’s pizza didn’t convince you that you need to try out the meat in that recipe, today’s post will. Unless you’re a vegetarian, in which case you’ve probably already exited out of here. Sorry, come back tomorrow, I have alcohol for you!
In my pineapple soaked meat induced haze, there was only one thing to be done with the leftover carnitas.
Paninify it with more pineapple and cheddar cheese.
This would be my 5% for last week and while I usually reserve such occasions for chocolate, there was no beating this greasy deliciousness.
It’s messy, sweet & savory with the perfect contrast of crispy chewy bread on the outside to soft, melt in your mouth carnitas on the inside. As I stood over the counter eating this (because waiting a second longer to get from the panini maker to the table was unthinkable) all I could think about was how this would be an awesome contender for that Guy Fieri show Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. That’s something I never thought I’d say in reference to food on here, but there it is. Embrace it.
Do you want to know how nice of a person I am? I’ll tell you.
I shared this. I only ate half and saved the other one for Ulysses.
It might’ve been his birthday and I might not have been so nice the other 364 days of the year.
Just being real.
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- about ½ cup carnitas (see link below for recipe on different post)
- 3 slices pineapple rings, core removed
- handful of baby spinach
- 8 thin slices of sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon soft butter
- Preheat panini griddle to medium-high or, if doing stop top, heat a skillet or griddle to medium high.
- Spread butter on one side of each piece of bread.
- Flip the bread over and layer cheese on both pieces.
- Next lay the pineapple rings on one piece of bread and then the meat on top of that.
- Finish with a handful of baby spinach on the piece of bread with just the cheese and flip that piece on top of the other to make a sandwich.
- Transfer to panini maker or skillet and press for about 3-5 minutes until cheese is sufficiently melted and oozing.
- Slice and half and enjoy warm.