A simple almond apple cake recipe perfect for fall that comes together in minutes. It’s super versatile and can be made with any fruit for any season!
Today is our 5th wedding anniversary.
5 years! I don’t even feel old enough to be married 5 years. I can distinctly remember getting married and thinking “on our 5 year anniversary I will be 29, I can’t even fathom what life will be like then, we’ll be so old!”
There have been great trips,
and even a special addition.
In some ways 5 years seems like eternity when I think of all the changes since 2006 and in others, it seems like yesterday when I moved to Florida in our first house together.
Ulysses is pretty much the easiest person in the world when it comes to food. He eats anything and everything I make without complaint. I know he doesn’t necessarily look forward to every meal and I’m sure he sometimes wishes his mom would just come over and make his favorite Greek dish of tiropita or pastitsio but, he’s been stuck with me instead.
There are few desserts Ulysses gets excited about. He just doesn’t have a huge sweet tooth (I can’t even begin to understand this!). Every fall however, apple season comes around and I end up making a simple go-to almond apple cake recipe which someone sneaks into the kitchen and picks at straight out of the oven.
So on our anniversary today, this cake is for that someone. One of the few sweet treats he seems to enjoy.
Call it an early fall treat,
a way to make up for all the tofu, tempeh, and crazy dishes that have made their way to the dinner table over the years,
or, just a way to say “I love you and can’t wait for the next 5.”
A simple almond apple cake recipe perfect for fall that comes together in minutes. It's super versatile and can be made with any fruit for any season!
15 minPrep Time
35 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 3 apples peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup AP unbleached flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 stick butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup almond milk
- extra sugar & cinnamon on the side
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease a 9 inch square baking pan.
- Combine flours and baking powder in a large bowl.
- Combine melted butter, sugar, applesauce, eggs, and extracts in a small bowl.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry then add milk. Mix to combine.
- Pour half the batter into pan and spread evenly.
- Place half the sliced apples on top of batter in an even pattern.
- Pour remaining batter on top of apple layer and smooth evenly.
- Top with remaining apple slices and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.
- Bake in oven for approximately 35 minutes, until toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
What’s your favorite fall dessert?
Is your significant other a picky eater?