Another conference day, another cool display with liquid nitrogen. Sunday they had dried fruit, yesterday there was lime mojito ice cream. I’m told to expect creamsicles today. Can’t wait!
Apparently, you make the base of the ice cream the same as normal and then add the liquid nitrogen to the mixer and it basically freezes instantly. Check out the video. I’m not sure why there is no sound, but you’re not missing anything no one was talking anyway.
They also had a watermelon juice shot with little gel balls made from currant juice. I don’t remember the proper term for the balls but there was some funky science involved in those too. They put the watermelon juice in a shot glass and then a spoonful of the currant balls. You were supposed to drink the juice and then break the currant balls on the roof of your mouth and they would “pop”. It reminded me of Gushers when I was a kid. Anyone else remember those things?
This is my man Peter with the watermelon shot. He’s from NY with a great Brooklyn accent and each day he’s been super excited to tell me about the new creation they have and getting me to try it. I’m an easy sell, this stuff beats standing at a booth any day! Peter works at NYU, so if there are any NYU’ers out there go say hi to Peter on campus.
After the fun with the ice cream and watermelon I decided to get outside for a workout. I didn’t want to run because I‘d done that 3 days in a row already and wanted fresh legs for the race this morning so I went for a 3.5 mile walk instead. I actually ended up walking along the bay which happened to be the same route as the 5K this morning. It was a gorgeous walk and reminded me a lot of the Palm Beach half marathon course. The water on one side and beautiful mansions on the other.
I wore my Garmin because I was curious how far I was going and what my normal walking pace actually is. Turns out I’m pretty consistent. My mile splits were 16:56, 16:57 and 17:01. Apparently, I walk almost exactly half as fast as I run. Interesting to know!
When I got back to the hotel I did almost 20 minutes on the elliptical and called it a day. The hotel gym is small. It’s a huge hotel with 20 floors yet the gym is barely bigger than my walk in closet at home. After 2 days in there, 20 minutes on the elliptical was all I could handle.
I’ve gotten a few questions about working out on the road so I thought I’d compile some of my best tips.
5 Tips for Working Out on the Road:
1. Know the area you’re traveling to. Are there safe outdoor roads, trails, parks you can walk/run on? If so, I always try to take my workout outdoors. It’s a great way to explore a new town or city and make the workout more enjoyable/interesting.
2. Research the hotel amenities and plan ahead. I knew the hotel gym was not going to have all the equipment I needed for my NROLFW workouts so I made sure to get that in before I left so it wouldn’t be 5 days without strength training. Basically, adjust your weekly workout to accommodate what you have available to you when traveling.
3. Charge & pack all your gadgets Make working out on the road the same as it would be at home. Run with music? Make sure you bring your ipod and earphones. If I forget my Garmin or iPod I tend to make excuses about why I should just skip the workout.
4. Don’t sit on the bed! Ok, this one may just be me but, some of those hotel beds are comfy! If I come back to my room after a long work day and sit on the bed for a minute to relax, I’ll never go workout. I change immediately upon getting back to the room to increase the likelihood of actually working out.
5. Give yourself 20 minutes I do this at home sometimes too. If I’m not feeling a workout too much I’ll tell myself to just go do 20 minutes. Whatever exercise I want, just do 20 minutes and if I don’t want to continue after that I don’t have to. I’d say about 85% of the time once I get going I end up staying almost double that time. The other 15% usually means I need a rest day any way and I’m happy to oblige.
As this publishes, I’ll be running the 5K (hopefully with a chip!). Back tomorrow with results and creamsicles!
What are your best tips for working out while traveling?