Paleo challenge: day 1

From Jan 1 – 31 I’m doing a strict paleo (Whole30) challenge with my CrossFit box. I decided to journal the month in food on here (in addition to normal posting) after getting a huge positive response on my Facebook page. I’m also going to detail the amount of sleep I got, the workout for the day and any other relevant notes. I’ll only detail drinks when it’s something other than water or tea, but note that I typically drink 80-100 ounces of water a day. I’ll link to recipes (either mine or other people’s) when applicable, but I don’t usually cook from recipes for myself so if you leave a comment asking for the recipe for something, there is none unless otherwise noted.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Notes for the day:

Not a typical day. New Year’s eve obviously threw things off a bit. Eating a paleo breakfast at home is hard enough, on the road is practically impossible. Note that I don’t enjoy spending $5 for an egg and 1/4 of an apple or eating that little for breakfast.

Sleep:

6 hours

Workout:

Rest day

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Breakfast:

hardboiled egg

1/4 of an apple

tall coffee

Lunch:

tuna salad (tuna packet, celery, golden raisins, walnuts, dijon mustard, sage)

bell pepper

1/4 of an avocado

pear

Dinner:

Chicken sausage

roasted tomatoes, parsnips, sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts & kabocha squash

Snacks:

almonds

1/2 of a no bake chocolate coco pumpkin bar from the freezer (made without honey noted in the recipe)

Comments

Way to go on your first day! When I did strict Paleo, I wasn’t sure about cocoa, so I didn’t eat any….I guess it’s okay? Those bars look amazing! I think the kiddos would even go for those.

I can’t wait to hear how this goes! I would love to jump on the bandwagon of Paleo AND Crossfit! Unfortunately, Crossfit is out of my budget, but maybe Paleo. Can’t wait to read throughout the month!

Ash says

I started paleo in August, and I have been following it since then. By the list of foods that you posted above, it sounds like you’re not eating very much protein.. One boiled egg for breakfast and that’s it?! Good luck!

As I mentioned in the notes, yesterday was not typical as I was driving home from a friend’s house 2 hours away after New Year’s Eve. Paleo breakfast choices on the road are slim so Starbucks was the only option. I typically eat way more than that for breakfast.

Very interested to follow this Gina! A fun little tidbit for you. Dallas, the creator of Whole30, got a physical therapy degree from the same school I received mine from. He was a couple years ahead of me but it’s a pretty small school so I recognized him when I looked up Whole30. Hope the challenge goes well for you. I am doing dairy free and sugar free for January but gotta keep my grains! Happy New Year!

love it – I can’t wait, I’m so curious about this whole Paleo thing (not because I’d ever do it but bc I’m always curious about things that aren’t in my norm).

Hi Gina- Love this Paleo challenge series! i really need to get better about actually writing down what i eat!

Just wondering- what type of chicken sausages do you buy? ive been getting the ones from Trader Joes, but they all have sugar in them!

Thanks!

I’ve been buying Aidells recently. The ingredient list is the best I’ve found as far as commercially available ones.