Clearly, the most logical thing to do when it’s raining and 55 degrees outside is to grill. A caribbean steak with pineapple nonetheless.
I had my day perfectly planned out according to the weather which was supposed to start off sunny & warm and deteriorate in the afternoon… Crossfit in the morning, a trip to the nursery to buy mums (that were 3x more expensive than everywhere else), plant said mums, grill steak, hit up the store for ice cube trays since apparently it’s “every appliance decides to break” week in our household, clean the house and chill with my book.
Here’s what actually happened… Crossfit in the morning, mom decides to come to my house because she wants to go for a bike ride, nursery store to buy mums, plant said mums, bike store to fill up flat bike tires (and buy a pump), bike ride, move furniture all around in an attempt to make the room I spend about 10 hours a day in (living room turned makeshift office) not look like the most ghetto one in my house, research sectionals for 2 hours on the computer, decide I’m buying a $3,000 sectional, come to my senses put furniture back and decide against the $3,000 sectional, grill steak at 5pm. So I didn’t get ice cube trays or clean the house, not a big deal but grilling when the winds have kicked up 20mph, the temperature has dropped 20 degrees and the skies have opened up wasn’t really ideal.
Luckily, it was worth it.
After buying half a freezer’s worth of beef from a local farm a couple of month’s ago, I’ve had these enormous sirloin steaks that easily feed a family of 4 sitting in there. When you’ve spent upwards of $15 a pound on a steak that feeds 4, you kind of want to do something special with it and I just never really know what to “do” with steak. So when DailyBuzz Food sent me these McCormick recipe inspiration packs as part of the Tastemakers program, the light bulb went off.
They’re basically spice packets that pop out individually so you can use as much or as little of each ingredient as you want with a recipe on the back as inspiration. Pineapple and “caribbean” anything may have been slightly unseasonal for October 6th, but it was ridiculously delicious and equally as easy.
Ice cube trays and cleaning were a worthwhile sacrifice.
- 1 package McCormick recipe inspirations Caribbean Grilled Steak
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1.5 lbs flank steak or sirloin steak
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 1 can (I used 1 whole fresh pineapple) pineapple chunks, drained
- Mix salt and all of the spices except red pepper in a small bowl and blend. Add in red pepper to taste.
- Reserve ¼ teaspoon of the mixture.
- Brush steak with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and rub with spice mixture. Set aside and let marinate for 30 minutes.
- Stir together lime juice, remaining olive oil and reserved spice mixture in a small bowl.
- Thread pineapple chunks onto skewers.
- Grill pineapple over medium heat for 5 minutes, brushing with half the lime juice & spice mixture and turning occasionally.
- Grill steak over medium-high heat brushing with the other half of the lime juice & spice mixture for 6-7 minutes per side or until desired doneness.
- Slice steak and serve with pineapple skewers.