From bookmark to blog: cauliflower couscous

Cauliflower couscous mimics the real stuff in this vegetarian, gluten free spin off.
cauliflower couscous

Is she seriously trying to get me to eat cauliflower the day before Labor Day weekend? I’m going to guarantee that’s what 90% of you (of those who are even reading this and not already off at the beach like I plan to be once this work day is over) are thinking right now.

Yep. I am. I don’t even really have a good reason other than it tasted good and my twisted mind has been craving vegetables more than sugar recently. I’m clearly not well.

I saw this on tasteologie yesterday when looking to see if one of my submissions had been accepted (it wasn’t, they’ve decided to hate me and my food lately for some reason. Whatever.) and it went from bookmarked to made for lunch in 1.5 hours. New record.

cauliflower couscous

I also feel like I should tell you that I almost made my stripper debut on the internet in the above picture. See that spoon? See that weird tan background on the right side? That would be called “retouching the eff out of that so you can’t see up my shorts as I stood on chair taking this picture”. Food blogging…so scandalous.

cauliflower couscous

I don’t really like real couscous, it’s just so bland and boring. I feel like cauliflower is kind of the same way. Looks like an albino broccoli but lacks all the flavor. This was a fun way to liven it up a bit with sautéed onion, coriander and cilantro. The bacon fat I sautéed it in might have helped too. So if you’re into completely de-vegetarianizing a perfectly good vegetarian dish, do that.

Original source: Stone Soup

Original recipe: Cauliflower “Couscous”

Happy Labor Day weekend!

…………………………………………………………

Previous Bookmark to Blog series posts:

nectarine sage & brie pizza

java almond butter

roasted smashed sweet potatoes

chocolate dipped stuffed peaches

trapanese pesto pasta

roasted cherry bacon ice cream

Comments

Oh my gosh to funny!!! You know now everyone is going to enlarge your picture and look at the spoon! Your dish looks yummy. I’m not the biggest couscous fan, but I think I would like to try your recipe with quinoa. It’s a great way to incorporate those odd ball vegetables like broccoli and cauliflower. Have a great weekend!

ahhaha got a good laugh at the spoon situation. Yes I’ve made cauliflower rice before but it really was more like cous cous now that you say it. And I hate regular cous cous and prefer the cauliflower. Hope you have a great labor day weekend.

I love that you added bacon fat. LOL!

Cauliflower and parsnip “rices” are 2 of my favorites. They make especially delicious Asian-inspired dishes, I find. I’ve seen a lot of people pre-steam the cauliflower, but I always do them raw… interesting idea to saute it!

You are too funny. I tried my hardest and can’t find the weird tan looking background. You must have some pretty good editing skillz. I love cauliflower pizza crust and cauliflower mashed potatoes so I bet I’d like it as couscous. Neat! I’m loving this series by the way!

hahah so much about this post made me giggle, first of all, Tasteologie totally hates me too these days, they just won’t approve any of my photos anymore. Whatever! :as I sit silently in the corner and feel like a loser:
    Also, the Great Scandalous Spoon Incident of 2012 could have gotten you more traffic than Tasteologie ever could… maybe you should have left it in. hahah jk!

I love this series! I have such good intentions to make recipes that I see on other blogs but rarely do it. I love the idea of making cauliflower couscous. Sounds so good!

Hiiii, lady! I’ve been slightly mia lately. sorry :( Life = crazy and about to get crazier. Kinda like yours with the move I’d guess?

oh gosh…I am realizing my comment makes it sound like I miss you over on my blog. Nothin to miss over there sista since I haven’t been posting hardly anything! HA! I meant how much I miss readying YOUR blog. I haven’t hardly read anything lately with the move and ending work and teaching…I’m totally looking forward to getting back into my habit of daily reads. BUT I wanted to come over and tell you that I miss you. :)