From bookmark to blog: roasted smashed sweet potatoes

I’ve been eating sweet potatoes like they’re going out of style lately. Mostly because they seem to be sprouting within days of bringing them home due to the recent heat, but I can’t say I mind it. They satisfy a carb craving without really being a full blown carb and anything I can douse in ketchup is always a welcomed addition to my plate.

When I saw Rachel make these a few weeks ago with red potatoes I knew I wanted to try it out with sweet ones. If for nothing other than the fact you get to smash them between a dish towel as part of the prep, something I found to be an oddly enjoyable sensation.

They’re kinda the best of both worlds. Soft sweet insides with a crispy exterior.

Simply seasoned with sea salt, pepper and red pepper flakes they’re a fun, easy way to switch up your potato routine.

Original source: Baked by Rachel

Original recipe: Roasted smashed potatoes

…………………………………………………………

Previous Bookmark to Blog series posts:

nectarine sage & brie pizza

java almond butter

Comments

Sweet potatoes! I didn’t realize how much I’ve missed them since I saw this post. I make sweet potato fries all the time during cooler months. I can’t bring myself to turn on the oven now, but your smashed sweet potatoes look great!

I know, the oven only went on yesterday because the temps dropped 30 degrees and we had a random cold/rainy day. Bake up to the 90s today and no oven-ing for me! ;)

Yeah, Rachel’s original recipe calls for red ones which I’m sure would be fabulous, I just only had sweet on hand and thought I’d try it out that way. :)

Hi Gina,
    I’m sure you’re asked about your photography all the time, but do you recommend any particular books or online tutorials? Your pictures are stunning, and I’m trying to learn more, but having a difficult time with it. Thanks for any help!

Cristin Cogen says

I can almost smell the wonderful flavours from these. Great recipe and I’ll be sure to try it over the next week (quite anxious to actually)

Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite foods. I love having baking them and putting the chunks in salads. This roasted, smashed variation sounds and looks delightful.

1. [...] whipped cream | cauliflower couscous | nectarine sage & brie pizza | java almond butter | roasted smashed sweet potatoes | chocolate dipped stuffed peaches | trapanese pesto pasta | roasted cherry bacon ice [...]