This was a trip I’ve wanted to take for years, but the timing was just never right for one reason or another. I’ve almost gone with Ulysses, with friends and with another couple (also friends) but I honestly can’t imagine a better pairing than with Kat. Does that sound cheesy? Yes, indeed. But seriously, Kat knows her stuff when it comes to wine. I know my stuff when it comes to food. And so the two of us in Sonoma & Napa was pretty much amazing.
For as much as I like taking, setting up and editing food pictures, I really don’t enjoy that whole process while I’m out and about “experiencing” something. It seems forced, I’m not as good at it and I’d much rather just live in the moment. My SLR came out maybe 3 times the entire trip. The iPhone, on the other hand, was used to the point of a drained battery every day. Enjoy the pictures, sorry they’re not great (and the ones that are, are stolen from Kat like the one above).
Most of the food:
- Kendall Jackson
- Zin (website not working but it’s right in downtown Healdsburg)
- The Girl & the Fig
- Bouchon Bakery
- Kendall Jackson
- J vineyards
- Cosentino (favorite wine of the trip CigarZin)
- Alpha Omega
1. I have never drank so much in such a little time and yet never been full out drunk. Impressive and scary.
2. Guilt is the best motivator. We ran & lifted all 3 mornings and it wasn’t my idea any of the days.
3. Spilling miso soup down your pants makes for a very uncomfortable mile walk back to the car.
4. I now know what “tannins” are and mean, I can confidently say all my assumptions of what I “liked” for wine have been completely altered and I will no longer make fun of people in my head for swirling and smelling the wine before tasting. I get it now.
Go check out Kat’s post for a way better play by play, better pictures, better explanations of the wine and pretty much a better post all around.