Chocolate coffee bundt cake

This chocolate coffee bundt cake is infused with coffee and topped with a chocolate coffee glaze. It’s moist, decadent and simple.

If there was a bright side to hurting my foot and not being able to travel to Seattle this week, it was being able to spend my dad’s birthday with him yesterday.

dad bday

63 years young with trick candles in his cake. A delicious cake too. More on that in a little bit but first let’s back up since it’s what I ate Wednesday and the last one in this month’s love your veggie theme.

Breakfast was inspired by this girl. She always has these amazing waffle stacks that leave me drooling even after I’ve just eaten breakfast. Nothing fancy, just really pretty presentation. And since pretty food tastes better, I decided to go that route with breakfast. Blueberry waffles with a chia/yogurt mixture in between and topped with strawberries, almonds and coconut.

lunch

Lunch was just a quick egg scramble with lots of veggies on a pita bread since I had a leftover egg white after the cake we’re about to talk about (huge pet peeve of baking…I hate separating eggs!). It should be noted that there was no mid afternoon “oh my God, I need chocolate or something sweet” snack because I was saving up. Big time.

dinner

Dinner was on mom. BBQ chicken thighs, broccoli rabe, roasted baby artichokes (so good!) and a Trader Joe’s grain mix.

And then the time came…

Chocolate coffee bundt cake

This isn’t my recipe but I knew it would be delicious from the start. I mean her cookbook dropped yesterday. Girl knows her ish if she’s got a cookbook, right? I followed the recipe exactly except I left out 1/2 a cup of sugar. My hands just physically wouldn’t let me pour in 2 1/4 cups of white sugar and I’ve never met a bundt or pound cake recipe that can’t withstand a little less of the white stuff. It still tasted delicious, you’d never know it was missing.

Chocolate bundt cake

I took a little more liberty in the frosting department since I didn’t have many of the ingredients on hand.

Here’s what I ended up whisking together:

-1/2 cup dark chocolate chips

-1 tablespoon butter

-1/4 cup powdered sugar

-2 tablespoons cream cheese

-brewed coffee until I got it to a “pourable” consistency (there’s coffee in the cake too)

Chocolate and coffee bundt cake

Bam. Tell me you don’t want to lick that off the screen.

Ulysses left half of his piece on the plate since chocolate isn’t really his thing and it made me twitch a little. Wasted food always bugs me, but wasted chocolate? Sacrilegious.

Luckily the cake stayed at my parents’ house. There’s no way I could be trusted alone in the house all day with it steps away.

As far as family birthdays go, I’m next in line. Would it be weird to bake myself this cake? Because I’m seriously thinking about it.

Comments

Happy Bday to your dad…and the cake looks wonderful and I’m sure he LOVED having you celebrate with him.

Blueberry waffles with a chia/yogurt mixture in between and topped with strawberries, almonds and coconut = wow, that’s a great looking breakfast too!

Your dad does not look like he’s 63! Why do men age better than women? Unfair! I hear you about not being able to pour in the directed sugar amount or chocolate amount. Most of the time, you just know it’s NOT necessary and you don’t even miss it once you have a bite! This looks divine!

Yeah this cake is definitely not something I would normally make. The amount of sugar was disturbing. haha

Yaaaaaaaaay I love the waffle stack!! Yours looks GOOD. And I agree – pretty food most definitely tastes better :)

Can we just talk about that bundt cake though?! OH MY GOODNESS. I want to dive head first into it right now! Happy Birthday to your dad! So glad you got to celebrate together (you guys look SO much alike!)!

Every single thing in this post is to die for! …and that cake?! My mother-in-law and grandma-in-law’s birthdays are both in March. They are used to store-bought cake unless I jump in there with something homemade — I’m thinking it’s a homemade kinda year – what a perfect excuse to make this :)

I know, I would’ve cut out even more sugar if it wasn’t for my dad but he wanted something “not healthy” haha.

best pics of any food blog I have seen I think. Some bloggers food pics are just TOO big and slap you in a face that is not fun. Your pics are always so perfect. And that one of your dad. Love it. And I can pretty much taste that cake even though I am sitting here at my computer at work with no chocolate anywhere near me, so thank you.

Every time I come to your blog I feel inspired to actually learn how to use my fancy camera (your food always look so beautiful in photographs), but then I get sidetracked. Do you use a light box or anything? I always get glare off of my plates inside.

No light box, I shoot in the daylight between 10-4 usually. My dining room just gets really good diffused light, so that helps. the only thing I use is a white foam board on the opposite side of the food from the window to help with shadows. Just switch the camera to manual and start playing. Honestly, that’s the only way to learn! :)

ahhhh, that cake photo with the white pitcher in background – A-MAH-ZING! Seriously, way better than some recent food magazine covers I’ve seen lately. Oh, and the cake sounds amazing – happy belated bday to your dad, too.

1. [...] a whole wheat tortilla the size of my head. Apples and pb on the side.Backing up to breakfast…look familiar? It’s been done before. I really wanted hot oatmeal actually but considering I overslept by about [...]