Let food be thy medicine…

That Hippocrates sure knew what he was talking about. I’m thinking we would’ve been bff if he were still around. But since I missed that opportunity by about 2500 years or so, I took his advice instead to try and nurse this cold I picked up on Wednesday with some “healing” food.

I think the worst part about a cold is the onset. When you start to feel that little tickle in your throat so you keep swallowing to see if it’s just a fluke, hoping it will go away. You sneeze a few times and think maybe it’s just allergies (or maybe that’s just me since I’m the allergy queen) instead of admitting that’s not an “allergy sneeze” (yes, there’s a difference). You think you’re just cold because it’s winter time, but really it’s not normal to feel chilled to the bone inside your car with the heat set to 80 and the seat warmers on.

I fought the realization for a good 2 hours on the car ride home Wednesday night. Then yesterday, I just gave in, cooked soup, baked cookies and let thy medicine be food.

Sriracha will forever be the best decongestant on this planet. This is Jenna’s recipe for Asian chicken noodle soup except with tofu and red pepper. I’ve made her version as it’s written before and it was probably one of the best soups I’ve ever had in my entire life. Skip the regular chicken noodle next time you’re sick and make this instead. Just the smell alone will make you feel better.

Every sick person deserves a chocolate chip cookie. I got an intense craving for legit chocolate chip cookies yesterday and nothing was going to stop me from having them. Usually, I play around with cookie recipes, tweaking stuff, reducing the sugar and butter. Trying anything to basically justify eating more.

Not this time.

Chewy chocolate chip oatmeal cookies from someone that knows cookies pretty well.

I ate three immediately. It’s been a long time since I’ve had the whole stick of butter kind of chocolate chip cookies. I have to say, they taste way better than Dayquil ever could.

What’s your favorite “I’m sick” kind of food?

Comments

Sarah says

Soup, for sure. It almost doesn’t matter what kind, as long as it’s got a *kick* to it. As much as I hate to admit it, sometimes when I am sick, I miss the idea of chicken noodle soup. I’ve been vegetarian for at least 7 years, and almost-vegan for 2, so to be honest, I don’t even remember what chicken noodle soup tastes like. I just miss the idea of it. I am excited to try Jenna’s recipe; thanks for the modifications. Another thing I really enjoy when I am sick is wasabi. As a decongestant, it works like a charm every time, but unlike regular hot sauce, the spice doesn’t build on itself and accumulate into something unbearably hot. It just shoots through your nose really quick and that’s it.

…sorry for the dissertation-length comment! <3.

Oooh, wasabi is a good idea! You’re right it’s intense but then totally goes away unlike other kinds of “heat”.

Chicken noodle soup and cookies are DEFINITELY my go-to “sick” foods. I think I had the exact same thing just last week when I was sick!

I hope you feel better soon!

Why am I reading this at work?!? Those cookies look amazing!! Def making some this weekend now. Best sick food: grilled cheese ad tomato soup. Hands Down.

Aw, I hope you’re feeling better soon! Those cookies look amazing :D I think for me chicken soup with noodles or rice is my favorite when I’m sick. Although I don’t always enjoy the chicken so much, so any kind of brothy soup with lots of veggies :)

TOO FUNNY — about the onset. I get that tickle in my throat too, most of the times it’s right when I wake up in the morning (before the cold gets worse) and I keep swallowing and hoping it goes away and it’s not what I think it is..then BAM, it hits you like mid-day through your workday. HORRIBLE. Even though you were sick, you made some amazing food :)

Definitely the first time I’ve heard of that craving, but it sounds delicious and now I want some!

Aww. I was sick last week and all I could stomach were popsicles and minestrone soup. I loathe the stomach flu.
    Your soup looks gorgeous. As do those cookies. Every sick person deserves homemade sweets.
    Feel better! <3

Lance says

Eating cookies when sick seems like the worst thing you could do.
    I eat bone broth / chicken soup / hot ginger tea.