Nutcracker cookies & lessons in falafel

nutcracker 2 v2

This is the last of the baking. Seriously.

My sugar canister is almost empty, I’m down to just the “weird” flours (coconut and spelt) and somehow I’ve used 7 sticks of butter since Sunday. It must stop.

These were a good one to end on though.

nutcracker 6 v2

I was reading Angela’s post yesterday about these nutcracker cookies and was instantly intrigued.

I had 8 tins all sealed up on the counter and ready to give out as gifts come Christmas Eve, but realized that in all those cookies and treats there was nothing nutty!

Did I need to bake more cookies? Absolutely not. But I’m sure glad I did because these blew the others away. No contest. They’re way more up my alley than the buttery, sugary, white chocolaty other ones. They’re literally bursting with nuts and brown sugar and still manage to taste “buttery” even though my version only had 3 tablespoons in them. A far cry from the 2 sticks worth in the other cookies. Angela’s version is vegan but I de-veganized them by using a combination of real butter and coconut oil instead of Earth Balance which I didn’t have on hand.

nutcracker 7 v2

I also changed up the nut mixture a little based on what I had but other than that left the recipe intact.

They’re so, so good with a cup of tea that I’m tempted to take them back out of the tins and keep them for myself. That wouldn’t be very Christmassy though would it?

nutcracker cookies

So it’s over. I hope to not see my silpat for at least a week. Winking smile

After the cookies, I tried to get my mind away from sugar and butter by attempting homemade falafel last night.

falafel

Ulysses’ reaction when he saw these before going in the oven was priceless. Which is fair considering their resemblance to something else but let’s just say don’t judge a falafel by it’s cover. These were great besides the fact that half of them got left on the pan because I forgot to spray the foil.

Ulysses swore he’d never had falafel before (which I find hard to believe) so he took the first bite and said:

“These taste like something. Something I’ve definitely had before. Something ’beany’.”

To which I replied: “um, chickpeas perhaps?”

Him: “yes!”

Me: “Well, that’s because they are chickpeas.”

Him: “Oh.”

Haha. I’d like to tweak it a bit, but I see a falafel recipe coming up soon. It’ll be a tasty post holiday detox. Winking smile

Are you done with your baking this season?

Anyone else already looking forward to eating a bit cleaner come the New Year?

Comments

Are you done with your baking this season? Yes!

Anyone else already looking forward to eating a bit cleaner come the New Year? Come the new year? Come Monday morning LOL! It feels like sugar is seeping out of my pores right now and I have a brick made of butter and cookie dough in my stomach…

I don’t need to bake more cookies but I’m sure we all feel the same — there’s too many cookies out there that we MUST bake! Haha :) I was done with my baking season on Wednesday. I’m bringing them up all to my bf’s family today. I’m looking forward to coming just a TAD cleaner in the new year — i love food, it’s sure hard to say no ;)

So glad to hear that you enjoyed the cookies! :) So funny you were thinking of keeping them….I was too! And Eric made me keep all the failed ones. heh

Hahah. I haven’t even started my holiday baking yet but I’m pretty sure that by the time this weekend is over I will be in the exact same boat as you!

Also, I’m DYING to make those nutcracker cookies. I saw them on Angela’s blog and immediately knew I needed to add them to the “to-make” list :)

Those cookies look awesome – I was very tempted to try them as soon as I saw them too :D I’m mostly done with baking, I think I’ll just make some plain old soft sugar cookies for my hubby tomorrow since they’re his favorite. But I am so looking forward to eating a lot cleaner in the new year, I never thought I’d say it, but I’ve had enough sweets already! Well almost enough… :D

I’m done with baking after today… I actually haven’t done much (because I’m not too good at it!) but today I baked with a friend and have been in a sugar coma since. Can’t wait for a plate of veggies later!
    These cookies sounded so great when I read the recipe and glad they came out just as tasty for you, I’m sure whoever receives them will love them.

I used the same three nuts (almonds, pecans and walnuts) but only used barely 1/4 cup pecans because I didn’t have that many on hand. Then I used more almonds than walnuts to make up the rest. I think they’d be great with just almonds and walnuts too!