Loco for coco

IMG_2026 (565x377)
It’s Wednesday! Which means we have this lovely gal to thank for WIAW. Go check out her site if you want to drool over hundreds of delicious food photos. Don’t do it while hungry though, that’s like grocery shopping while hungry. Bad, bad things happen.

Ever go to sleep and know exactly what you want for breakfast in the morning? That’s what happened with yesterday’s breakfast. I haven’t wanted hot oats in weeks given the temperatures outside but for some reason I had an intense craving for them yesterday.

IMG_2021 (565x377)

IMG_2022 (565x377)

Toppings included:

• blueberries
  • pepitas
  • coconut almond granola
  • shredded coconut
  • coconut butter
  • sunflower seed butter

I was going for a coconut theme. Can you tell? Winking smile

Have I ever told you guys how I make oats? I don’t believe I have! I’m pretty sure there are a million posts out there about how to make oatmeal and my method has changed since I first started eating it from microwave to stovetop. I totally dismissed the stovetop method at first thinking it must take so long and it’s an extra pot to clean, etc. But, now I actually think it’s easier.

Into a small saucepan on med-high heat goes:

Serves 1

• 1/4 cup oats
  • 1/8 cup hot cereal (I use Bob’s Red Mill 10 grain)
  • 1/2 banana diced
  • 1/2 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup water
  • splash of vanilla extract
  • cinnamon
  • pinch of salt

Bring it all to a simmer and stir a few times as it thickens. With old fashioned oats this is ready in about 5 minutes. Use that time to get your toppings out and ready!

One of the perks of working at home is being able to use your lunch hour for something besides lunch if you so choose and that’s exactly what I did. Got a NROLFW 2B workout done during lunchtime and made a quick protein smoothie afterwards to sip back at my desk.

Chocolate, coconut, cherry smoothie. Hello, delicious.

IMG_2024 (565x377)IMG_2031 (565x377)

Into the blender:

• 1/2 cup frozen cherries
  • 1/2 frozen banana
  • 3/4 cup coconut milk
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 scoop chocolate protein powder (I use Designer Whey)
  • 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1 cup ice

Two things on this: 1. It was delicious 2. I can’t believe I never tried coconut milk until yesterday. It is so freakin’ good!

I had a random coupon for $1 off any 2 half gallons of Pure Almond or Coconut milk so instead of buying 2 almond milks I figured I’d give coconut milk a shot. Unlike almond milk, which I’m personally not a fan of drinking by itself (the thickness grosses me out), coconut milk is delicious alone. The only thing I don’t like about dairy free milks are the lack of protein but, that’s what protein powder is for I guess.

This kept me full for a couple of hours but I did get hungry later in the afternoon and snagged a zucchini feta olive oil muffin from the other day.

use 4

PS- I like this picture. Foodgawker did not but, that won’t stop me from continuing to use it. Winking smile

Some hummus + Mary’s crackers went undocumented at my parents house in the early evening. I’m sure you can visualize those.

Dinner was made by my brilliant sous chef and waiting for me when I got home.

IMG_2034 (565x377)

Ha! What did you expect? Ulysses is many things, a cook is not one of them. Watching him attempt to chop up produce is enough for me to shoo him out of the kitchen and take over. He does fix treadmills though so I can’t complain too much.

IMG_2037 (565x377)

We have a favorite pizza place about 4 minutes from our house. My only complaint is that whenever Ulysses picks it up they give him free garlic knots, whenever I go, nothing. I’m convinced the lady behind the cash register has a crush on him which is totally fine by me because that just means I shouldn’t have to pick it up ever.

IMG_2035 (565x377)

x2 Smile

That salad on the side would be 3 garden ripe tomatoes from my parent’s house + leftover shredded zucchini from the muffins + basil in a olive oil + balsamic vinegar dressing. So good.

And because this may be one of the last times of the summer we get it, a cherry dip vanilla ice cream cone for dessert.

photo (565x565)

It gave me a stomach ache but was so worth it.

What was the best thing you ate yesterday?

Cherry or chocolate dip on ice cream cones?

Does/can your significant other cook?

Comments

I’ve never had a cherry dipped cone — but that is totally something I want to try!

Jason doesn’t cook much — but when he does, he goes all out with fancy dishes with a million ingredients. The one dessert he has made by himself is baklava — who does that???

Mmm zucchini feta olive muffins!? YUM.

The best thing I ate yesterday was definitely my breakfast. Hands down.

I’m all about the chocolate dip on a cone. (Though really I’d probably go sprinkles)

My significant other is JUUUUUST starting to cook. I’ve been pushing him in that direction because it’s nice sometimes not to always have to do it!

Such gorgeous eats! I hope to be able to work from home some day and take beautiful pictures whenever I feel like it ;)
    I can’t watch my husband make anything either… even eggs, which he makes quite often. Let’s just say we have different cooking styles (aka, I know what I’m doing and he’s navigating blindly) ;)

Ah, I love your blog! All your eats look amazing :) I used that same coupon for almond and coconut milk too. And I agree, I would never drink a plain glass of almond milk. I need to check out those muffins, they look fabulous. What does Foodgawker know anyways? (They turned me down too :(). Great dinner!

It’s funny, sometimes the pics I think won’t get accepted do and then the ones that I think are amazing, they reject. Oh well!

I’m totally going with chocolate dip for a cone. I’m not a huge fan of fruit flavors with my ice cream or in desserts. I wish I did!

My husband doesn’t cook a thing. He’s a wiz at nuking things and grilling meat, but I’ve never actually seen him cook anything in our kitchen. When I go away for a few days, the garbage cans are riddled with takeout packages. Oh, does coffee count?

Yum! Cherry dipped cones all the way! Also, isn’t coconut milk delicious? I discovered it last month and it’s my new favorite treat.. it’s like dessert in a glass! (okay – back on topic): The best thing I ate yesterday was a caprese salad with organic tomatoes from our CSA and fresh mozzarella (had been made at the store that morning – I saw it and had to splurge). I love summer since it equals fresh basil in the backyard, too. I’m a bit of a caprese addict in August… ;o)

That milkshake looks amazing, though… I think it might just be the best thing I eat today or tomorrow?!

cherry dip fo sho play, fo sho! oh that reminded me of so many memories! wow- always used to get that from DQ when I was little in the summer time.

love the pizza- and i can’t believe they don’t give you the free knots…. at least you got them though and had dinner waiting for you!

ooh wow!!I need to get myself some of those mini spoons. Where do you find them? Everything today looks good. I love coconut milk- it is in my fridge as we speak, and that I’m on the search for some pizza worth having. That looks like it hits the spot- even if the cashier has a crush on your husband!
    as for dip- butterscotch!

The mini spoons are from crate and barrel (online). They’re fun to eat with b/c they make everything last longer! :)

I haven’t had a cherry dipped ice cream cone in so long! I loved seeing this :) I’m pretty committed to an overnight oats routine, mostly because I hate the thought of using the stovetop in the morning. This has me convinced that I need to give it a shot though! (Coconut milk too…I think I have one of those coupons!)

Sheree Shaffer says

Mmm zucchini feta olive muffins!? ummm breakfast looks amazing!! I’m so jealous of people who get free food. at least you got them though and had dinner waiting for you!

1. [...] let’s talk knots. Not the kind in your shoelaces but the oh-so-delicious kind you eat. I’ve mentioned before how I’m pretty sure the pizzeria lady down the street has a crush on Ulysses and any time he [...]