I gave in

to this beauty.

IMG_1935 (565x377)

Top of my list for Irene preparations was buying Mockingjay. I’m half way through Catching Fire and fully anticipate finishing the book in about an hour come Sunday morning when I’m trapped  inside with no other distractions. The quest for the book started at Sam’s Club along with every other person in the world stocking up on water like they’ll never see the light of day again. They were there to buy survival necessities in preparation for a hurricane, I was there to buy a book. I guess I’d rather be well read than hydrated in an emergency.

I found Hunger Games at Sam’s Club for $5+ a couple of weeks ago and after Ulysses paid $18 for Catching Fire at Barnes and Noble last week, I was hoping to avoid going there. Unfortunately, Sam’s Club was chock full of  trashy romance novels and completely devoid of anything that could actually be deemed “literature” so, off to Barnes and Noble we went.

I’ll be the first to admit that I was soooo against the e-reader obsession. “I like the feel and smell of an actual book,” “I don’t want book stores to go out of business,” “It’s just another gadget.” Yeah, I said it all.

And you know what?

I take it back. All of it.

After spending $18 on a book I’m going to devour in 3 hours, I’ll happily take the $9.99 (or less!) version and have it at my fingertips instantly. I’ll also take the ability to check books out from the library without getting in the car. Oh, and how about the fact that the nook is 8 ounces. That’s a lot lighter than lugging around a hardcover in my already stuffed computer bag with a roller board and purse through an airport. And, let’s not mention that now I can be like all the other cool people on the airplane because I was seriously starting to feel left out without an e-reader or an iPad. I was like the technology adverse grandparent with my actual hard copy book.

So, now I’m caught up with the times and Mockingjay is downloaded and waiting patiently for Sunday. Can’t wait!

IMG_1936 (565x377)

Before our book hunting adventures, we did have to eat dinner. Considering I’ve been home all of 2 days in the past 14, the fridge was pretty bare so it was the perfect night to try out one of the Bird’s Eye Voila! meals that I received as part of the Foodbuzz Tastemaker program.

IMG_1928 (565x377)

The prep was easy, just a half a cup of water + heating up a skillet + 7 minutes and dinner was ready. The mix I chose, three cheese chicken, actually had a decent amount of veggies mixed in it but I added some broccoli I had on hand as well to bulk it up a bit.

IMG_1932 (565x377)

And more cheese on top. Because, everything’s better with more cheese right?

The verdict? I was pretty impressed with the taste. It didn’t have that typical “frozen food taste” which I can’t even describe but I’m sure you know what I mean. The only thing I wasn’t so impressed with was the ingredient list.

IMG_1929 (565x377)

It was long and there were quite a few things that I couldn’t even pronounce. I prefer to keep my food simple and recognizable but, on nights when you need dinner in a pinch I can definitely see using these meals again. Ulysses loved it that’s for sure. Perhaps he’ll eat more than cereal or oatmeal when I’m gone now?

And of course what meal is complete without dessert?

ice cream

Gotta get my ice cream cone fix while I can before hibernation fall/winter get here! Winking smile

Do you have a Nook or Kindle or are you a hard copy book person?

Anyone have any good cover recommendations for the Nook? I figured I could find something cheaper than the ones in the store.

Comments

Welcome to the nook world! I actually have rarely bought any books on it and find myself getting the library books. It’s so great to have a on a trip and you rarely have to charge it up. My mom actually stole mine. Enjoy!

I’m a book girl through and through, however after seeing the amount of money I have spent this past year on buying books on amazon and getting them delivered to the arse end of the world (Cyprus) it’s looking like a kindle, nook or even an ipad will be a sound investment… also I’m impatient so waiting 2 weeks for said expensive books to arrive just isn’t my style!

Monica says

My husband bought me a Kindle for my birthday, and it only took me five minutes to love it as well. Enjoy!

So glad you picked up a Nook! I too wasn’t sure if I’d like it or not — but seriously being able to get a book at any time is so nice. (I loved that feature when I read Hunger Games!)

Have a nice weekend!

Megan says

I have a Kindle – and LOVE it! I love that all my books are in one convenient place! (So easy to just carry it in my purse!)

And as for The Hunger Games…oh my goodness I loved them! I read all 3 in a matter of days – I just couldn’t put them down!

Enjoy your Nook! :)

I have been going back and forth on the nook color lately. I want one terribly bad, but I don’t want to spend the money. I know that I would love it so I might just break down and get one soon. I’m glad to hear you are enjoying yours.

I have the older version of the Nook and I didn’t even want it when I got it (as a gift). I was anti-ereader. Now it’s literally the best thing ever. I’m super jealous you got the new model. I’ve been trying to convince Mike that he wants my model and I can upgrade so we both have them. It’s not working so far.

I hope you enjoy your nook! We have our kindles are charged and ready to go for tomorrow. I need to purchase another tonight though because I am more then half way through my current read. So glad you are logic the hungergames series. I actually think caching fire was my favee

I was given a kindle as a gift, but I never use it. I really love holding the book in my hands, turning the pages, dog-earing the corners to mark my spot. One of my dreams is to someday have a beautiful library in my home, with those built into the wall shelves, filled with books and one of those sweet ladders that slides all around the walls. Ahh… I get the chills just thinking about it. And that ice cream cone looks terrific right now. :)

I got my Kindle for Xmas last year and absolutely love it. I was like you and was totally against an e-reader because there was nothing like a real book, but about 10 pages into my first one, I was hooked. It’s so convenient on vacations too.

Have you tried turning a page like you would with a real book? I’ve done it a few times and laugh at myself every time.

Haha! I just used it for the first time last night and played around with all the page turning options. I think I like tapping the screen on the right hand side the best. I haven’t yet tried to turn the page like a real book though, I’m sure it’s only a matter of time!