Just another manic Saturday

Right now I’m in route to Tampa for a work conference that starts tonight through Tuesday. Yes, it’s Saturday and yes, it sucks. Not having any weekend at all is not my idea of a good time. What’s worse is that even though I’ll be in a relatively cool (figuratively, obviously Tampa is anything but cool in July) place, I’ll most likely be stuck in an over air conditioned convention center for 95% of the time.

So instead of dwelling on all that negativity, I’d rather talk about what has been good in the past day or so.

Spending our Thursday night here.

lake

Ulysses jet-skiing and me reading my book on the boat.

jet ski

Dinner at my favorite restaurant, Dish which I unfortunately just learned has been sold to different owners. Sad smile

IMG_1050

IMG_1054

IMG_1056

IMG_1058

IMG_1060

I had the pizza which was out of this world good.

And a rainy Friday night which was perfect for 2 episodes of Lost (more confusing than ever now!) and a mug cookie.

IMG_1062

I’ll try to remember these things when I’m freezing cold inside of a windowless exhibit hall pretending to be interested in whatever conversation I’m having.

Although, one redeeming factor of this trip is that there is a sponsored 5K race for attendees on Bayshore Boulevard Tuesday morning. Awards are given to the top 2 women and men finishers. Considering the age of most attendees of this conference, it might be the only shot I ever get at winning a race so I’m definitely doing it!

See ya from Tampa.

Do you have to travel on weekends for work?

Do you get comp time if so?

Comments

It’s my dream to place 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in my age group at a 5K race. I came SO close last November when I ran a Turkey Trot 5K – 4th in my age group!

Good luck, Gina! I’m rooting for you! :-D

oh boo :( sorry you have to work this weekend! that’s the worst. but I’m with you, it’s always better not to dwell on it otherwise you’ll just feel worse. Dish looks AMAZING. hopefully the new owners don’t change it!

It can be, but conference trips tend to not be so glamorous since you’re stuck in the conference the ENTIRE day!

…I get to travel TO work. I have to get ready for the week during the weekend or else the kiddos will eat me alive! That food looks out of this world, not just the pizza… Looks like you had fun outside; what book are you reading?

The Kitchen House. I started it a while ago, didn’t read for like a month and now I’m sucked in. It’s pretty good!

What is a mug cookie?!?! Sounds delicious and amazing. Sorry you’re going to be stuck in a convention center all weekend…totally know the feeling… all too well!!

Good luck with the 5k!! I’m sure you’ll rock it, especially after being powered up by that pizza.
    Were you training for this 5k or was it something you are just doing because you are there for the conference? I’m always curious to learn about how people plan their running around races, particularly if they are focused on more long-term goals.

Not really “training” for a 5K, but I run consistently and can easily run 3 miles so I’m already in 5K shape. I don’t have any time goals or anything for this. It’s more of a fun run. I literally found out about it 2 days before I left for the conference so it wasn’t planned.