Salty & Sour

IMG_0826

Whew! What a day. I stepped outside at 6pm for a run yesterday and realized it was the first time I had been outside all day. I was glued to the computer from 7am straight through. Between switching this little blog over and work it was just an insane day! Still not completely done tweaking some of the design but for the most part it’s done. Did you guys notice my new button on the left for Running to the Kitchen’s Facebook page? Be so kind and like me please. I promise to keep it fun over there.

IMG_0819

Ulysses came home early and actually took charge of dinner last night. This is like the 1 in 1000 times that actually happens and he couldn’t have picked a better day. I was too busy stuck in my computer screen to even think about dinner.

Nothing elaborate, just veggie burgers, a tomato & avocado salad and grilled corn.

Let’s talk about grilled corn. It’s basically a summer staple right?

IMG_0823

I bet yours doesn’t look like that though?

This isn’t an “all the time” thing but sometimes I like to step it up a notch with the corn and give the plain veggie some flare.

Usually, I would grill them directly on the grill to char them up a bit. The roasted flavor adds to this “recipe”<—I say that loosely because it’s barely a recipe, but Ulysses wrapped these in tin foil. It still works. He cooked it. I’m not complaining.

While the corn is grilling, gather up the other elements.

Melted butter.

IMG_0821

Grated parmesan & lime. Interesting right?

IMG_0820

And some un-pictured paprika & cayenne.

I’m sure you can guess where we’re going next.

Once the corn is done, pour the melted butter on it, sprinkle cheese on top of that. The melted butter helps the cheese stick. Then add as much paprika & cayenne as your spice level can handle. I like it hot. And finish with a squeeze of lime.

IMG_0826

It’s such a weird combo of salty & sour, but it totally works. I think it would actually be really good if you took the time to take the corn off the cob after it was cooked and then toss with all those ingredients. It would almost be like a corn salad. Black beans would be an excellent addition, especially with the lime. So many possibilities with this.

So, next time you’re about to throw some corn on the grill give this a try, it definitely varies it up and brings a whole new flavor to your typical corn on the cob. And try and get someone else to cook it for you, it tastes that much better when you’re not the one behind the grill.

Completely unrelated, I have to know, is there anybody out there that watched LOST in it’s entirety? We are 98 out of 120 episodes in and I’m ready to pull my hair out with this time travel crap. Please tell me I will get some clarity soon? Someone? I seriously don’t know how anyone waited 5 years to watch this series in it’s entirety, I would’ve gone mad!

What are some other good series out there on Netflix?

Comments

Taralyn says

You’ll get some clarity, but don’t expect the series to spell it out for you. My recommendation is to chat it out with people who have watched it. It helps. In real time I would check out Doc Jensen’s recaps on EW.com He was waaay more into it than the average person, but there was some good stuff there. But stick it out. Some episodes and plot lines are better than others…

Good to know, I don’t want to ruin the ending (I think we have one season more or less left) but I will definitely be checking out those recaps later. I try talking it out with Ulysses and he just shakes his head and gets annoyed with me. Typical.

I watched lost off and on the whole time that it was on TV, more on than off for sure though. I love that show…. getting clarity, it takes forever and it seems that a lot of it is up to you to figure out. I didn’t like that part of it. I wanted revelations and it felt like I never got them… Still a wonderful show! Just a mind trip. Netflix is stinking wonderful! I’ll have to search some good ones now….

Yes, what Taralyn said. They wrap it up but leave it for interpretation…much like the entire series. I think the show was great, but it never lived up to the first season which was like…one of the best seasons of any show ever. I guess it would be hard to live up to that!

Haha – oooh LOST. I wish I could tell you that you get some clarity but I don’t know if it will happen. I wasn’t AS disappointed with the ending as most people were, but it was definitely one that makes you “think.”

That corn looks amazing – I’ve been living off of it lately! It’s been so delicious this summer.

That corn looks amazing! You should come down here and try the corn at The Place. It’s sooooo good.

Also, netflix? I’m your girl, that’s literally the only tv I watch. Have you watched Samantha Who, Drop Dead Diva, Veronica Mars, Glee (not for everyone), or all of the 24 seasons are on instant too.

I watched the Pilot episode of Lost and then never another episode. I just couldn’t get into it at all and heard that the finale had people wondering WTF

Nothing beats grilled corn….This is a very popular street food in North India..Its grilled and then literally coated with sea salt, chilli and lemon….served with husks at the bottom as a napkin…reminds me of the Indian monsoon…yours looks very similar….makes me want to have one right now….

-Shilpa

Ahh…LOST!! I was OBSESSED with that show. But sadly, I don’t think I ever really “got” it, if you know what I mean ;) I just enjoyed it for the mind trip it was. I still remember at the end of literally EVERY episode sitting there with my mouth hanging open in amazement at the awesomeness :) And I could watch Sawyer ALL. DAY. LONG. Yum! ;)

And that corn looks freaking amazing!!

I’m torn b/w Sawyer and Jack. I’ve always thought “Jack” (from his Party of 5 days) was incredibly hot. I looked up his wife in real life and she’s kind of a let down. He could do better, just sayin’ ;)

I liked you on FB!! Can you like me too!! I love getting FB updates much better than twitter! The last seaons of LOST are a bit all over the place and I’m sorry to say, the ending BARELY pulls it all together. Nonetheless, I loved it all haha

Currently we just finished season 4 of Dexter…I HIGHLY recommedn this series, although you might want to wait until after they finish season 6 to get hooked! We’re anxiously waiting for season 5 to be released and once finished with that…we have to wait a WHOLE YEAR for season 6!! arg!

consider yourself “liked” ;) I was actually #600, which was kinda cool!
      I’ve heard great things about Dexter. Maybe that will be our next addiction!

LOL! I know how you feel. My husband and I started watching Lost on Netflix back March :) We’re about to start Season 5. . .or is it 6? Eh. I dunno. But I am still scratching my head at certain things but we’re excited to finish it soon. I can’t take screaming at the TV anymore or giving my husband “did they just do that?” looks.

Dexter is another great show. . . .and I also love Boston Legal (Will Shatner and James Spader [who s kind of sexy in a very creepy way]). We have that BL on DVDs along with Star Trek TOS and Psych in our rotation of TV series to watch.

I will never watch LOST because I’m too obsessed with other TV shows to begin with–

Six Feet Under, Dexter, The Wire, True Blood (did anyone catch the new episodes? anyone? bueller?)..etc

Have you seen Boardwalk Empire?! It’s great, both season 1 and 2! And True Blood Season 4 is out right about now… The corn looks great and I would never think of those toppings, I think I need to become a little more adventurous!

Hate to admit it, but we are watching the entire series of Melrose Place (yeah, the ’90’s version) through Netflix on the Roku. It’s so bad it’s good.

And PS, I will now be eating corn on the cob tonight for dinner. Looks delish!

My favorite Netflix series is Friday Night Lights. Lost is somewhere on my queue, but I think I’ll do Roswell next.

That corn looks crazy good. I’m going to make it for my husband soon, since he loves corn in all its many forms.

Just stop now! I didn’t watch it when it started (caught up on DVD’s), but still wasted a good three years of my life with the show (I’m being slightly dramatic). I was SO disappointed in the end and there are so many questions left unanswered.